You will lack sleep, food, hygiene, and other daily habits at Burning-man. Everything will turn upside down and so it more crucial than ever to take care of your body.
The first 2 years I didn’t think of it, the third year a friend insisted we come prepared with all the vitamins that could help boost us and keep our energy level…
What a discovery, I can’t strengthen enough the importance of vitamins, you are going to lose so much energy and nutrients, you may suffer from headaches, fatigue, nausea, and other exhausted body side effects.
Take all of them, when you wake up, it can be anytime as long as you take them with food.
Have your one-a-day meal. This will be a good reason to remember to eat.
Here is what I recommend:
(Note you have a full list, those marked in bold are a must, others, are good additions)
- Vitamin C - your immune system will thank you! Vitamin C boosts your immune system dedicated to fighting against any harm and keeping your body strong and healthy. This one is a must!
- Magnesium - this is for your muscles, you are going to walk, dance, climb, peddle, explore, fly and more activities on this list. Your muscles will feel it even if your head won’t, this helps restore muscle strength and prevent any muscle cramp, soreness an face ticks that may happen due to exhaustion, also good for headaches and bone health.
- 5 HTP - the mood uplifter, when taking other “stuff” your body releases a significant amount of serotonin, the happy hormone. After the come-down you may feel tired, and occasionally sad (though it’s tough in Burning-man). 5 HTP is basically a pack of serotonin you return to your body after you release a significant amount. Good for appetite, sleep, body readjustment, and preventing headaches.
- Milk Thistle- liver boost. Milk thistle is a natural treatment for the liver, which is used to cleanse and detox your body, this week it will work extra hard detoxing so help it out by taking one of those each day.
- Omega 3- brain saviour, fatty acids, helps with brain health, eye health, and focus, (not that you won’t feel confused all the time it’s a good addition) helps prevent headaches, and fatigue. As a vegan know that there are many vegan options out there that many non-vegan prefer than fish-oil.
- Multi-vitamin B- B complex vitamin usually delivers eight of the B vitamins: B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B7 (biotin), B9 (folic acid), and B12 (cobalamin). B complex vitamins help your body make energy from the food you eat, form red blood cells, and play an essential role in certain bodily functions. Good for keeping you in one piece.
- Probiotics- helps with digestion, absorption and keeping good bacteria rolling. Probiotic restores and ensures other vitamins are well absorbed.
- Selenium- hair and nails will feel like you are 200 years old, this is for them, help them out they will need it.
- Electrolytes- this is the most important one here!!! Hydration is the opposite of what you will feel most of the time. You will drink a lot, and still feel dehydrated welcome to desert conditions. These will save you, electrolytes are natural salts that make one sip of water feel like half a bottle, put it in your water bottle and you’ll be very happy you did. Helps prevent side effect caused by dehydration.
- Nasal spray- the poor dusty nose of yours…. You will sneeze dust way about a month, after the event is over so to reduce the damage. I highly recommend spraying your nose occasionally and making sure your breathing canals are somewhat clean. I never use on a regular basis, but this is far from regular.
- Eye drops- don’t underestimate those…. Unlike camels, desert animals, who have 16 rows of eyelashes, we have only one, or in my case, three quarters of one. These work like magic every time you get a bit itchy, red or uncomfortable. Apart from that, always wear eyewear, goggles, glasses etc.
All were tested on us, at several festive occasions, including Burning-man, I can’t mention enough how important it is to take care of yourself in such harsh conditions, these vitamins helped us with headaches, fatigues and general weakness sensations that are common in tough conditions.
If you forgot some, drop by I will have a cocktail ready for you.
See you on the playa...
**For more information, packing tips, survival guide, and personal stories check out this amazing resource